We are a small family farm 2 years into establishing pastured laying hens behind our cattle and 16 months into establishing a pastured broiler business, but having to drive a round trip of 560km to Imbil to get them processed! We are going to apply to our local council and to Safe Food Qld for a boutique meat processing facility to process our chickens. Does anyone have resources that can help with that (we are happy to pay for your time in getting things to us). The sort of things that could help are:
- Diagrammatic plans for the abattoir and physical details.
- approximate costing or you reviewing and commenting on ours
- Where you obtained your physical components from in form of plucker, scalder etc etc;
- How you dispose of the feathers, offal, blood etc. (We want to create fertility by composting all components we are permitted to)
- Any tips you could give us for the process, with council, the state government and Safe Food Qld.
- Draft management statement to modify to satisfy Safe Food Qld
A reality check on our costing would also help us to be confident that the abattoir element was financially realistic, because we have not been able to quantify any likely consultant costs involved.
assuming others used consultants we would be interested in whether you would recommend them, who they were and the approximate likely cost level